Tuesday, March 3, 2009

//Man cannot live on bread alone, so we add things to it

Photobucket

Late Sunday evening, after a few rounds of Alhambra had been played, it came to my attention that the bunch of bananas I had purchased 3 days prior had definitely started to turn. This was my own fault, for I had neglected to use them as intended. Not into my morning bowl of Corn Flakes had they gone; instead, they had been slowly browning in the shadows, at the bottom of my baker's rack, next to old cookbooks and back issues of Martha Stewart's "Living." Had I not intervened when I did, they would have gone, along with the remnants of Sunday evening's Thai food from Chadka, to the Great Garbage Bin in the sky the following morning.

Chai Banana Bread with Toasted Coconut

* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3 chai tea bags, snipped open (I used Bigelow Vanilla Chai)
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 3 large, ripe bananas
* 1/2 cup toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and chai tea. Set aside. In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and toasted coconut. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients just until combined and the batter is thick and chunky. Don't over-mix. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment